WSU Vista Outreach Coordinator
- Job Category: Social Services
- Salary: $990/mo
- Education: Bachelors Degree
- FT/PT: Full-Time
- Company: Flinthills Services, Inc.
- More Jobs from this Company
If you are passionate about helping adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities achieve their goals, this position will allow you to use your PR and marketing talents to help them shine!
AmeriCorps VISTA members are passionate and committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or agency. They focus their efforts to build the organizational, administrative, and/or financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, foster economic development, and otherwise assist low-income communities. Members earn a modest living allowance of $990 per month, limited benefit options and after a year of service are eligible for an Education Award of $5,775 or post-service stipend of $1,500. More information is available at www.VISTAcampus.gov.
Program Description: Flinthills Services, Inc, (FSI), serves adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Butler County, Kansas. FSI is dedicated to providing the highest quality of supports to our clients. We accomplish this through the efforts of choice, commitment, empowerment, individuality and growth. The VISTA Community Outreach Coordinator will support the clients served by FSI by building capacity to develop and implement ongoing community outreach, public relations and marketing activities that increase community exposure to the services of FSI. The coordinator will contribute to the goal of strengthening and building the capacity of FI to deliver and sustain programs that address independent living skills and employment readiness to move people with disabilities out of poverty.
The successful candidate will be professional, enthusiastic and optimistic and have a heart for serving adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Location: 505 S Walnut Valley Dr, El Dorado KS 67042-9001
Other benefits: Complimentary lunch is available in our cafeteria
Required age: 20 years old
Is a car or a driver’s license is required.
Select minimum desired education level: Some college
Preferred skills of applicants: Communications, community organization, computers/technology, fundraising/grant writing, recruitment, writing/editing, public health, graphic design
1. Coordinate, update and maintain the FSI website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
2. Facilitate publication of the FSI email blasts, quarterly print newsletter, annual report, agency brochures and direct mail. Write and distribute press releases.
3. Build relationships with community media partners.
4. Coordinate publicity for special events
5. Coordinate fundraising print materials
6. Recruit and train volunteers to assist with special events
7. Maintain updated contact information on key business stakeholders
8. Coordinate and serve as liaison for public relation activities
9. Coordinate media interviews of select staff, clients and volunteers
10. Preparing process manuals for activities outlined in the objectives
11. Attend staff meetings, training, and other meetings as applicable
12. Engage in regular communication and periodic reviews with supervisor
13. Represent FSI to clients, parents, guardians and other stakeholders in a professional, positive manner.
The service areas in which the VISTA would serve: Community Outreach
1. Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Graphic Design, or similar. Related professional experience will be considered.
2. Two years of relevant experience
3. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where some guidance, but minimal standardization exists.
4. Ability to speak publicly
5. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and have exceptional attention to detail
6. Must be able to use own vehicle
7. Excellent writing, proofreading, editing, and oral communication skills
8. Strong organizational skills
9. A commitment to meeting deadlines and the ability to encourage others to reach their potential.
10. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, desktop publishing software, and website maintenance software
11. Superior ability to use Adobe Office and In Design software (transferable experience in other related software may be considered)
12. Must be diplomatic and able to work well with a diverse population of staff, clients and volunteers
13. Must be able to represent the agency positively by projecting qualities of professionalism, enthusiasm, initiative, creativity, knowledge and flexibility.
14. Demonstrate a willingness to become familiar with the intellectual/developmental disabilities population and related issues
15. Position includes some evening and weekend hours
16. Experience with volunteer management
17. Hold and maintain a valid driver’s license including no more than three violations or a major infraction such as a DUI or reckless/careless driving within the last 36 months
18. Hold and retain automobile liability insurance as required by the State of Kansas.
Dates of service: 11/1/2017 to 111/2018 (approximately – can start sooner)
Complete an application at my.americorps.gov and search opportunity Listings “WSU VISTA.” In addition, you are welcome to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.